[Xorg] Get rid of checkerboard

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Aug 2 15:35:12 PDT 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Aug 2, Alan Cox wrote:

> Black screen is about the worst possible default you can have. A lot of
> older analogue tfts can't sync to it. Blue, purple, yellow  whatever
> would all be better, even I suspect grey (not tested that).

For the 'default' background (xsetroot defualt), you get your choice of
any pattern you like as long as it contains only white and black pixels.
I suspect most people would prefer something other than white...

Currently, the X server starts with the root set to that pattern, but we
could change that to some solid pixel value (tiles would be a lot harder).
This is completely trivial on read-only visuals. For read-write visuals,
you could count on the Render extension to allocate a reasonable spread of
pixels and pick a non-black/white pixel value if you like.

gdm uses a dark grey, which appears to make at least my LCD screens happy
enough in analog mode.

-keith