Xorg modular plans

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Jan 9 15:16:28 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 14:49 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Monday 09 January 2006 12:21, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > At the BLFS project, www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs, we are struggling
> > with incorporating the changes in the xorg build process.  Right now we
> > have to create a method to download and build many, many tarballs.
> >
> > Within BLFS, xorg is the only package that requires such a complicated
> > process to get an X implementation running from source.  The only other
> > project that comes close to the current xorg build complexity is Gnome
> > and it has less than half the packages of xorg.
> >
> > What are the plans, if any, for creating an official method of packaging
> > and building all of xorg at once?   Pointers to existing documents will
> > be appreciated.
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
>
> covers how to use the build.sh script to build everything from CVS, how to do
> the same from the released tarballs, and has a link to the documentation on
> using jhbuild as in Gnome.
>
> Those scripts are intended to stay working (in particular I believe they're
> used to drive the Xorg modular tinderbox) so if you experience issues with
> them please do bring it up.

Actually, the scripts aren't used for the tinderbox.  With the tinderbox
I wanted to run each build separately so it was more obvious when in the
process things failed, and also so that it would continue after some
driver failed to compile.  It would be nice to process the list of
things to build out of build.sh, but writing perl is like pulling teeth.
So instead I've got a default list in the tb config of things to build
from each tarball class, with a few os-specific overrides in the client
script, and the option of overriding it per-client in tb config.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org