modular build: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL AC_PROG_LIBTOOL problems

Yotam Medini yotam.medini at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 00:52:21 PDT 2006

All I want for Passover (PesaX) is to have
a local modular build of xorg.

Now I cvs checkedout, and working with the
   ./util/modular/build.sh
script as documented in:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

I understand Makefile(s) and simple bash scripts, but
am not an auto{conf,make} expert.

I bumped into several problems all related to libtool macros.
Here are some errors I get:

autoreconf: running: aclocal -I /home/yotam/xorg/modular/share/aclocal  --output=aclocal.m4t
autoreconf: `aclocal.m4' is updated
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
configure.ac:36: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:37: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

autoreconf: running: aclocal -I /home/yotam/xorg/modular/share/aclocal  --output=aclocal.m4t
autoreconf: `aclocal.m4' is unchanged
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy
configure.ac: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
Makefile.am:1:
Makefile.am:1: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
Makefile.am:1: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1