Xprint's use of FreeType: external symlink difficulties

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Mon Apr 3 00:06:27 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 02:45 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 04:43:43PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > 2) extras/ttf2pt1
> >
> > PsOut_DownloadFreeType1 is defined in ps/psout_ftpstype1.c. It calls
> > ft2pt1_main( ), defined in xc/extras/ttf2pt1/ttf2pt1.c (in place of
> > ttf2pt1 normal main() ).
> >

> > What is the best way to deal with this?  Create a ttf2pt1 subdirectory
> > below xorg/Xprint/ps ?  Let it contain a patch to external ttf2pt1,
> > copy rather than link files from external, than apply the patch?
>
> My recommendation would be to just import it below xorg/Xprint/ps, if
> it's that far forked.

Yes, I agree, especially for ttfpt1.  Upon reflection, I think I prefer
to create the extras subdirectory in xorg/Xprint rather than
xorg/Xprint/ps to make it easier to see where this "displaced" code has
gone.   I've got a simple patch to manage it.  This is a point where CVS
write access would be useful for me, since a "cvs diff" does not pay
attention to new directories or files.

The solution for the lib/XFont headers is a bit more ambivalent.  It's
easy enough for me to likewise create xorg/Xprint/extras/lib_XFont to
contain the two required headers, ft.h and ftfuncs.h, from  lib/XFont
h/src/FreeType.  That provides a quick workaround. From Xprint's
point-of-view it would be nice to not have to do this, if the headers
were publicly available.

Can anyone think of a reason why it might be useful to move the
XFont/src/FreeType headers into XFont/include, or are we sure that would
be a Bad Idea?

Drew