[patch] XKB mystery solved

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Sep 19 17:13:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

I finally got XKB to work on my modular build. There are two issues. The
first one is that the default xkbpath is wrong (along with font and rgb
paths BTW). The attached patch should fix that.

The second problem is that the xfree86 XkbRules don't exist any more in
the modular build. So my old config which used XkbRules "xfree86" was
broken. With the monolith there was a symlink
from .../lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to xorg.

I don't know if we want to break old configurations. If yes, we should
at least add some helpful error message. Given my complete ignorance as
to XKB details I actually ended up stepping through the XKB code in the
debugger in order to track down a configuration issue! If we want to
maintain compatibility with old configurations we should fix the modular
build system to create the xfree86 symlink. Whatever you prefer, I'd be
willing to implement it and submit a patch.

Best regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |