6.9 build log including Xprt?

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Sun Sep 11 05:47:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 10:50 +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 01:25 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > I'm trying to help with the modularisation of Xprt.
> >
> > I've got a degree of success, building an Xprt binary, except when I run
> > it, it seems to be behaving like a video servers (says "Fatal server
> > error: no screens found" and exits).
> >
> > I presume I've got the wrong mix of -D defines.
> >
> > Would anyone happen to have successfully build Xprt from the 6.9
> > monolithic source, that I could check and compare build conditions.
> >
> > I'm assuming the 6.9 build is sufficiently diverged from the
> > xprint.mozdev.org setup that I've used up till now that I'm better off
> > comparing my modularisation efforts directly against 6.9 rather than
> > trying to match the build environment from the older code.
>
> Hi Drew,
> One thing I always found useful with the rest of the server codebase was
> to take a look at the logs on buildd.debian.org to see exactly which
> defines were being used to build various files, to check if I was
> missing stuff.

Yeah, I started looking at the Debian logs, but since we've switched
Xprt off from the Debian X server builds, I'd only be able to draw
analogies with Xdmx, say.  I'm hoping to find the details which are
specific to X.org's Xprt build.

> If you're doing -DFOO across your whole tree, it's better to declare:
> AC_CONFIG_HEADER(include/xprt-config.h)
> AC_DEFINE(FOO, 1, [Bar baz quux])
> in configure.ac, and have the following in include/xprt-config.h.in:
> /* Bar baz quux */
> #undef FOO
>
> See include/xkb-config.h.in for an example, include/xorg-config.h.in,
> etc, also.

OK, I'll see where I can take these hints.

Thanks for the tips.

Drew