autoconf trouble

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Fri Sep 9 08:46:58 PDT 2005

On Fre, 2005-09-09 at 17:17 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > You would have just as much trouble putting your sysroot
> > solution into hand-hacked Makefiles as with autoconf, if not more.
>
> No. I just have to prepend $(SYSROOT) to all appropriate pathes
> (ie. -L, -I, .la, ...). The right places are easy to find, if
> the makefile, or probably it's source is human readable.

I'm not a toolchain expert but if AFAIK you've correctly built a gnu
toolchain with enabled sysroot support, the pathes should get adjusted
automatically and package installation works fine with DESTDIR.

I don't use this to build X.org (use chroot for that) but bootstrapping
a base linux system works fine when gcc and binutils have been built
with the --with-sysroot parameter.

HTH,

Jürg
--