autoconf trouble

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Fri Sep 9 08:17:44 PDT 2005

* Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

<snip>
> You would have just as much trouble putting your sysroot
> solution into hand-hacked Makefiles as with autoconf, if not more.

No. I just have to prepend $(SYSROOT) to all appropriate pathes
(ie. -L, -I, .la, ...). The right places are easy to find, if
the makefile, or probably it's source is human readable.

> We maintained our own build system with Imake.  And that sucked.
What's wrong with it ?
I hat never problems with it. But I have big problems w/ autoconf
almost every day.

> So one of our goals with modularisation was to have someone else
> maintain it, and to have it work basically everywhere.  autotools
> was about the only solution that satisfied this criteria.
This is exactly, what autotools does *NOT* provide.
It is as deterministic as the weather. Probably nice for folks
building evrything by themself on their own machine, but very
ugly for distributors/maintainers working in mission critical
environments.

Long long time ago, I've made several proposals for really strict
and deterministic buildsystem. If some more folks had have been
listening to me, we already could have it working for month and
an package's individual build stuff wouldn't be more than a simple
text file of about 1k ...

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de