Remaining differences between modular & monolith installs

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Sun Oct 16 13:56:56 PDT 2005

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>  - modular Xorg logs to $(prefix)/var/log instead of /var/log.
>    Should there be a --with-nothing-outside-prefix for those who
>    want this and change the default back to not have $(prefix)?

I don't think so; the current behaviour may be of limited use, but it
is in line with autoconf behaviour in similar cases.  For example,
modular X and most other autotooled packages defaults sysconfdir to
$(prefix)/etc which you typically override to just /etc for system wide
installs.  In the log file case, you'll have to pass
--localstatedir=/var (which we already do for autoconf packages in the
Red Hat build system) or use the --with-log-file to explicitly set the
dir.  Also, every path we install to respects the $(prefix) setting
which is what you expect from autoconf'ed packages.

cheers,
Kristian