[xkb] Docs on xkbdata vs. xkeyboard-config for modular release

Sergey V. Udaltsov sergey_udaltsov at pochta.ru
Fri Nov 18 17:31:46 PST 2005

Alan,

I would say I am happy with this text. It is short
enough and really to the point. The only thing
_probably_ worth mentioning is that layout-based
configurations should more likely be compatible with
xkeyboard-config, while symbol-based configuration
should be changed in most cases. But if you think it is
too technical, just forget about it.

Cheers,

Sergey

> Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>:

> We should include in the modular release
documentation some info about
> the two sets of XKB data files available and what the
differences are.

> Unfortunately, I don't know all the details, so I'll
suggest some initial
> text and hope others can help correct it and flesh it
out:

>     There are two sources of keyboard configuration
data available for the
>     X.Org X11R7.0 modular release: xkbdata &
xkeyboard-config.

>     xkbdata is provided by X.Org and consists of a
modular release of the
>     keyboard data files from the X11R6.9 monolithic
tree.   It is mostly
>     compatible with previous releases from X.Org and
XFree86 and should
>     require little change to most configurations.
However, there is
>     currently no maintainer for xkbdata and it is not
expected to be
>     maintained after the X11R7.0 release.
>
>     xkeyboard-config is provided by the
XKeyboardConfig project on

<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig>.
>     It was originally based on the same configuration
data files as
> xkbdata,
>     but has undergone extensive work and
restructuring, and is actively
>     enhanced and maintained.   It contains support
for more languages and
>     more internet/multimedia extended keyboards, but
may require changes
>     to the config files of more users as full
backwards compatibility has
>     not been maintained.
>
>     At this time it is likely that xkbdata will be
replaced by
>     xkeyboard-config in a future releae of the Xorg
modular tree, and
>     a number of distros/packagers have already
decided to use
>     xkeyboard-config in their X11R7.0-based releases
of Xorg packages.