Using DESTDIR during installation

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Mon May 30 06:35:54 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 02:47:41PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:34:24AM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm using DESTDIR to build Debian packages with several modules now, and
> > > not having any problems.  Of course, for example, ICE will have to be
> > > installed before SM can be built, because SM depends on ICE.  Building
> > > them all at once will need tricks like this.
> >
> > So you are building all the subdirs in lib/ separately?
>
> Right.  Each module is its own source package (think: SRPM), which may
> or may not build multiple binary packages (think: RPM).  So, in order to
> build the libsm source package, I first have to have built the libice
> binary package and have installed libice-dev (and libice6).
>
> The idea behind this is that I'll never have to touch most of them
> again; right now, every time I push a xorg update, hundreds of
> megabytes of stuff hits the mirrors and people upgrading, and it makes
> it really hard to push updates regularly.  It also sucks when you have
> to push a major driver fix to a release as an update, knowing full well
> that everyone is also going to have to download core fonts that haven't
> changed since the year we discovered the wheel, or something.

Sure. I'm aware of the intentions behind the idea of the
modularization process. :-)

> > Talking about
> > tricks. How can I expand the library path for the linker
> > (-L$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/lib) and tell this autogen.sh/configure?
>
> Should just be ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr [...] LDFLAGS=-L/foo/bar.

Thanks! Works fine for me, but after doing this I have a reference to
/foo/bar" in the resulting library, which is a problem for SuSE
builds.

 ERROR: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.1 contains /var/tmp/xorg-modular-050528-build

Any ideas how to get rid of this reference in the library?

Stefan

Public Key available