Using DESTDIR during installation

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun May 29 21:47:41 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:34:24AM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:43:16AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:00:47PM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > > Building and installing the proto/ and lib/ tree works quite well for
> > > me - as long as I don't use DESTDIR
> > > (make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT) - which is quite common for a
> > > Linux distribution. pkgconfig files, headers and libs cannot be found
> > > this way.
> >
> > I'm using DESTDIR to build Debian packages with several modules now, and
> > not having any problems.  Of course, for example, ICE will have to be
> > installed before SM can be built, because SM depends on ICE.  Building
> > them all at once will need tricks like this.
>
> So you are building all the subdirs in lib/ separately?

Right.  Each module is its own source package (think: SRPM), which may
or may not build multiple binary packages (think: RPM).  So, in order to
build the libsm source package, I first have to have built the libice
binary package and have installed libice-dev (and libice6).

The idea behind this is that I'll never have to touch most of them
again; right now, every time I push a xorg update, hundreds of
megabytes of stuff hits the mirrors and people upgrading, and it makes
it really hard to push updates regularly.  It also sucks when you have
to push a major driver fix to a release as an update, knowing full well
that everyone is also going to have to download core fonts that haven't
changed since the year we discovered the wheel, or something.

> Talking about
> tricks. How can I expand the library path for the linker
> (-L$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/lib) and tell this autogen.sh/configure?

Should just be ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr [...] LDFLAGS=-L/foo/bar.

Cheers,
Daniel