Font packages

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Fri May 27 02:26:13 PDT 2005

Owen Taylor writes:

 > I'd suggest throwing the bitmap fonts into as big chunks as possible ...
 > it's just not worth the time to manage lots of subpackages for this
 > legacy stuff. 75dpi, 100dpi, misc is the traditional division and
 > should be fine.

This seems to contradict our goal to break up everything such that
people can assemble their system by combining packages.
Some people may for example choose to create a minimal system with
no fonts present on the server side.
However there is a minimal set of fonts that's required to get a
server started (two fonts one with the generic name 'fixed' and one
with the generic name 'cursor').
As long as we don't have these fonts compiled into the server we
may want to ship them as a separate package.

Cheers,
	Egbert.