Font packages

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue May 24 21:50:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 10:51 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I'd suggest throwing the bitmap fonts into as big chunks as possible ...
> it's just not worth the time to manage lots of subpackages for this
> legacy stuff. 75dpi, 100dpi, misc is the traditional division and
> should be fine.

As the licenses of the bitmap fonts (yes, I know copyright doesn't
actually apply in the US to bitmap glyphs, but still) appear to vary
significantly, I don't think we can responsibly do this.  Also, some of
the bitmaps in 'misc' are huge, many distros have them split out
already.  An explicit goal in my division of X.org originally was to
have vendor packages consist of unions of X.org packages and not have
multiple vendor packages constructed from a single X.org package.

I'd still like to have the families packaged together so I can replace
each face with a single TTF file at some point.

-keith