Font packages

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Tue May 24 21:17:28 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 07:18:19PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 21:35 -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> >  Unfortunately, the old font dir
> > names 75dpi, 100dpi, misc, TTF, Type1, etc. don't give us this level of
> > flexibility.
>
> I don't see how the installation target for these files has anything to
> do with packaging them.

Correct, installation targets are not relevant to packaging.

I was referring to the source directory names (e.g., xc/fonts/bdf/75dpi,
xc/fonts/scaled/TTF, ...).  I was arguing that grouping fonts by the
source dirs from the monolithic tree doesn't give us the flexibility we
need.  See my previous e-mail for more details.

>                          I suggest that we package all of the 'adobe'
> fonts in a single group, merging 100dpi and 75dpi.  I still expect to
> get these merged into a single file per font at some point, and having
> them split by DPI would make that significantly harder.

In the first e-mail in this thread, I suggested using a combination of
foundry, family and type, but that may be too fine grained.  How about
grouping by just foundry and family (e.g., adobe-courier,
bitstream-charter, ...)?  Two reasons for using both foundry and family
in the package naming scheme is that it would simplify adding new fonts
to the repository without affecting the official XOF packages, and it
would allow new fonts to be added to a foundry under a new license.

> Certainly we should make sure each font package has a single license.

Completely agree.

Kevin