symlink script and proto module questions

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Wed May 4 20:38:51 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 10:15:14AM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:42:48PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> > 3. The following files are _only_ used in the server.  Should we move
> >    them to the xserver module (when we create it) or should we leave
> >    them in the proto module?
> >
> >      xc/include/XF86keysym.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/xtrapddmi.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/xtrapproto.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/Xagsrv.h
> >
> >    Proposed answer: Move them to the xserver module, except for
> >    XF86keysym.h, which should remain with the other keysym files in the
> >    proto module.
> >
> > 4. The following files are _not_ used in the server.  Should we move
> >    them to the lib module (when we create it) or should we leave
> >    them in the proto module?
> >
> >      xc/include/Xthreads.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/Xinerama.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/XRes.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/scrnsaver.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/xtrapemacros.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/xtraplib.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/xtraplibp.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/vldXvMC.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/Xvlib.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/XvMClib.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/lbxbuf.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/lbxbufstr.h
> >      xc/include/extensions/Xdbe.h
> >      xc/include/fonts/FS.h
> >      xc/include/fonts/FSproto.h
> >      xc/include/GL/glu.h
> >
> >    Proposed answer: Move them to the lib module.
>
> The intention with these two questions is to keep protocol headers in
> the proto module and move other headers to the appropriate module.  The
> problem is that we've got many protocol headers that include their
> library or server header counterparts, and some vice versa.  Note that
> the lists above are not exhaustive; rather, they are just the ones that
> are currently separable.  While I'd like to fix this problem, I'm not
> sure that it's a good idea since the changes could cause some ISV apps
> to no longer build without adding more #include's.
>
> Comments, suggestions, ...

I've updated the symlink script to keep the xc/include headers in the
proto module as suggested above, and I've also created configure.ac,
Makefile.am and *.pc.in build system files for all of the current proto
components.  Unless I hear any objections by Thursday evening, I will
create the modules, and check in the symlink script and the proto module
build system files.

Thanks,
Kevin