XKB configuration data and xkeyboard-config

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:39:03 PDT 2005

> I discussed this briefly at the XEDC, but I don't think anyone came to
> any conclusion.
That's what I see...

> Right.  On the other hand, it will ensure consistency.  But people
> probably won't expect configurations to break in a .1 release.
You mean 8.0????:)

> We can do it today, very easily.  Either you don't build the data files
> in programs/xkbcomp, or you just ignore them in your install target.
Something along these lines. If there would be one switch
(--with-xkb-data) in xkbcomp module (in my dreams it is by default
"off":) - I would consider it as a great step forward, allowing
distromakers to plugin xkeyboard-config easily.

> I think this is probably the most sensible decision to take.  7.0 is a
> new major version, so it's probably our best chance to break
> configuration compatibility if we need to do so.
I'm afraid this is not acceptable. The current policy AFAIK is to make
7.0 EXACT replica of 6.9 - just modularized.

> My vote goes for xkeyboard-config in 7.0, but anything you guys could do
> to preserve existing configurations would be a huge plus to me both as a
> developer and a distributor.
We are doing our best to keep configurations working for people using
XkbLayout-based approach - we introduced the compatibility rules for
them. But people using low-level components (XkbSymbols) will be
frustrated 100%. And there is nothing really we can do about it (other
than undo the whole restructuring).

Cheers,

Sergey