Capitals in directory names

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jun 13 10:35:12 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:22:50PM -0400, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >Unless anyone objects, I'm going to move all the CVS modules to use
> >lower-case directory names in about 72 hours, as this seemed to be the
> >consensus from our discussion about it.
>
> I don't remember any discussion ... Anyway, my thoughts on that subject
> is that
> if we do this, we we should come up with a real naming convention, ie.,
> a set
> of trivial mappings between directory names/library names/symbol names etc.

That's one thing that Stefan raised in private mail.  I think a simple
lower("lib/%s", libname) mapping (e.g. libXinerama -> lib/xinerama)
should be sufficient.

> We should then make all directories and .pc.in files follow it. For
> compatibility
> reasons we can't make the symbol names follow it, and also we can't
> change the
> names of .so files, but we can use the naming convention for new code.

Sure.  .pc.in should follow module name in all cases, IMO.  Whether we
want to shift things around and do, e.g. lib/Xinerama ->
libxinerama.pc.in (which would mean changing fooproto.pc.in to
protofoo.pc.in) is debatable, but it would save us from names like 'sm'
and 'x11'.

> Of course it is not important what the convention is, just that there is
> a convention.

Indeed.