borderline builder [WAS: cant build libXpm - buildscripts broken.]

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Jun 6 11:49:01 PDT 2005

* Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

Hi,

> > See attachment for details.
>
> I don't see any attachment.

Yeah, I forgot it. Please see my other posting, which is currently
held in the moderator's queue.

> Please share your constructive ideas on how or what can be improved.

As a first step we could move all toolchain commands to some universal
toolchain frontend, which has to be *only once* for each target platform.
No more detection whether 1+1=2 in some gigantic and unreadable per
package shellscript.
If something in the autodetection goes wrong or someone has some really
exotic case, (s|)he can always modify this universal tool by hand.
The path to the universal toolchain command is simply taken from an
env variable (or some default, if missing).

    http://wiki.metux.de:7000/wiki/index.php/Universal_Toolchain

In the next step we could use some strictly declarative model
(without any complex programming), where the software is described
by *structure* instead of macros for creating scripts for looking
at the weather and creating macros for creating software.

This model should also have clear declarations of module import
and export interfaces. No more faulty magic detections, but *clear*
definitions, and evrything else derived from that.

For example libXpm would import libX11, so we have an dependency
to the compile-time inteface of it (=.h files and probably also .a).
Dependent on the link-mode, the binary representation of libXpm would
have an dependency to libX11's binary (on static linking not required),
and the compile-time interface of course has an dependency to libX11's
compile-time export.

Okay, this second approach is a little bit more complex and I dont
have any specification for it yet.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de