patches for proto, libs and apps on BSD systems

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jul 26 03:21:26 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 19:43 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with the attached patch the modular proto, libs and apps parts of the
> modular tree builds and mostly works on OpenBSD. There are still a few
> rought edges, but I think they are pretty minor. I'd like to have some
> comments of the people who did the most of the modularization work
> before committing this. It consists of the following elements:
>
> - define a new autoconf test, AC_CSRG_BASED, which will define
> CSRG_BASED for BSD systems in config.h. The current imake configuration
> adds -DCSRG_BASED to StandardDefines for those systems and this macro is
> used to activate BSD specific behaviour in various places in the
> sources. I've also added this check to the configure.ac files where it's
> needed. There are still some of them missing, but I've not been able to
> fully test every application to spot them.

I'm wondering how many of these behaviours can be autodetected instead
of prescribed. For instance,

+if CSRG_BASED
+xconsole_LDADD += -lutil
+endif
+

This should be done based on symbols needed that appear in libutil, not
based on knowledge that this library is needed on CSRG systems.

Your example:

+AC_CHECK_LIB(c, getpwuid_r, [mtsafeapi="yes"], [mtsafeapi="no"])
+

is exactly the kind of test that should be used above.

If you could describe what -lutil is needed for, then we can probably
figure out a suitable autoconf test for that.

Thanks much for getting this working.

-keith