freetype, fontconfig, Xft, mesa, which versions to use for modular builds?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jul 20 07:29:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 19:20 +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:

> Probably you should use the upstream version of these libs. BTW, the
> Wiki says, that Xft will be included by X.Org 7.0. Is this still
> correct?

Well, I'm actually hoping that Xft, along with the other X libraries
which are currently upstream at xlibs.freedesktop.org will be able to
migrate into X.org CVS and ship with X.org modular releases in the
future.

But, as X.org 7.0 is the same as X.org 6.9, I'm not quite sure whether
I'll be able to actually switch CVS repositories until after the "real"
CVS shift, which probably means leaving them nominally upstream at
xlibs.freedesktop.org and move them once we've jettisoned the monolithic
tree and left it to rot.

> Another issue, I just tried to update libfreetype2 to
> 2.1.10. Unfortunately, the Xserver freetype module uses some internal
> libfreetype2 interface, which changed in the new version of
> libfreetype2. This results in Xserver crashes and is related to
> embedded bitmap support in libfreetype2. Therefore I recommend to use
> libfreetype2 2.1.9 instead for now.

Oops. We should fix these for 7.0.

-keith