freetype, fontconfig, Xft, mesa, which versions to use for modular builds?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Wed Jul 20 03:20:32 EST 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:52:48PM +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find this
> information on the wiki.
>
> Is there a page somewhere that lists the recommended (ie supported)
> versions of the various packages that one needs to use to build the
> modular tree ?

I don't think so.

> Also, are the correct fontconfig and Xft packages those in xlibs CVS?

Probably you should use the upstream version of these libs. BTW, the
Wiki says, that Xft will be included by X.Org 7.0. Is this still
correct?

Another issue, I just tried to update libfreetype2 to
2.1.10. Unfortunately, the Xserver freetype module uses some internal
libfreetype2 interface, which changed in the new version of
libfreetype2. This results in Xserver crashes and is related to
embedded bitmap support in libfreetype2. Therefore I recommend to use
libfreetype2 2.1.9 instead for now.

> What is the rationale here, wrt other similar libraries that also exist
> both in the monolithic tree and in xlibs (Xrender, Xcomposite,...)?

Sorry, don't know.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available