Common Makefile.am sections?

Sun Jul 10 11:23:23 EST 2005

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 13:10 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>>Is there a shared Makefile.am repository on the system similar to the
>>one for configure.ac m4 shared macros?   If not, should we have a package
>>of common rules that's in util/modular which other packages can get common
>>rules from?
>

> Where would these files live, and how would the Makefile.am locate them?

That's the part I wasn't sure about.   Do any other multi-module projects
do anything like this or would we be breaking new ground?

The automake manual only mentions including files from $(srcdir) or
$(top_srcdir), not from any standard/shared location like /usr/share/.

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Include.html

> And, would these files be included in the transformation from
> Makefile.am -> Makefile.in or Makefile.in -> Makefile? The latter means
> that anyone building from distributed tarballs needs to have the include
> files in a standard place, while the former is like the current
> aclocal.m4 files where only people building from CVS would need them.

It looks like automake processes the include statements when doing
Makefile.am -> Makefile.in.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com