Common Makefile.am sections?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jul 10 06:26:47 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 13:10 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> In lib/X11 I've pulled some of the common sections of the Makefile.am's
> into a single file that's included to ease updating the rules.
>
> But it seems there's some rules that should be shared among multiple
> packages, such as the man page cpp rules that used to be applied via
> the Imake rules to all the programs and libraries.
>
> Is there a shared Makefile.am repository on the system similar to the
> one for configure.ac m4 shared macros?   If not, should we have a package
> of common rules that's in util/modular which other packages can get common
> rules from?

Where would these files live, and how would the Makefile.am locate them?
And, would these files be included in the transformation from
Makefile.am -> Makefile.in or Makefile.in -> Makefile? The latter means
that anyone building from distributed tarballs needs to have the include
files in a standard place, while the former is like the current
aclocal.m4 files where only people building from CVS would need them.

-keith