Development plan -- time to move forward

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Apr 27 13:01:37 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 21:14, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 05:39:37PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > There's another messy issue, in that some currently share source files
> > via symlinks, for instance:
> >  xprop/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c
> >  xwd/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c
> >  xwininfo/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c
>
> This is also true for large chunks of the XKB code, which is shared
> between the client libraries and the server (if only we had some kind of
> library system which allowed us to share code -- let's call this
> hypothetical system 'shared libraries' ...).  We really need to punt
> crap like this to a common shared library.

I can deal with simply duplicating dsimple.c, it hasn't been touched in ages
and I can't think of a sane shared lib for it.

XKB code I'm less sure about, I'd have to look closer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the overhead of creating new automakery for
each program.  The clients are pretty much trivial, doing seven is not
appreciably harder than doing four.

- ajax