Development plan -- time to move forward

Tue Apr 26 17:39:37 PDT 2005

Adam Jackson wrote:
> I believe that most of the clients are useless as anything but demos.  I
> suspect the only ones that see serious usage are: fc-cache, glxgears,
> glxinfo, startx, xauth, xdpyinfo, xhost, xinit, xrdb, xterm.  The rest have
> niche usage at best.

If you're just looking at the contents of xc/programs, I'd also include xdm &
xfs, but those aren't really clients.   Under the traditional clients I'd
probably only add xclock and twm to that list.   (twm mostly for minimalist
diehards and special case minimal environments like running xorgcfg to
configure a server.)

My initial thought was mainly to save overhead - many of these programs are a
single source file - doing a whole set of autotool files for each one seems
like more work than necessary, but I can see that trying to figure out the
optimal grouping is difficult.   I still think a few groupings make more sense
than keeping them separate, like xwd & xwud.

There's another messy issue, in that some currently share source files via
symlinks, for instance:
  xprop/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c
  xwd/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c
  xwininfo/dsimple.c -> ../xlsfonts/dsimple.c

or mkcfm, which is full of links to lib/font/Type1/*.c  (or is that a DPS
program we can ignore?).

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com