Development plan -- time to move forward

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 22 18:06:17 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:55:03PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Kevin E Martin wrote:
>
> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularizationDevelPlan
>
> I see from the symlink tree step 4, that code from xlibs won't be used.

After the initial release, we will open up the modular tree to new code.
I hope that many of the changes that have been worked on in xlibs will
be brought over to the modular tree at that time.

> But what about the configure.ac, Makefile.am, *.pc.in (pkg-config files),
> and related that were already created for the various xlibs?

I expect we will use many (if not all) of them.  No need to recreate the
wheel.

> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModuleComponentList
>
> I see xc/lib/Xmu and xc/lib/Xmuu are separate. Should this be separate
> builds and installs? When I did it for xlibs, Xmu would install libXmu and
> mini libXmuu.

That's a good question.  I don't see why they cannot be from the same
component.  Unless someone objects, I'll make this change.

> Also can you document on that webpage the definition for "Tarballs"? I
> assume this means that this software is maintained elsewhere and so we
> will simple make specific versions used by X.org of this third-party code
> available.

That is exactly what it means.  I'll update the wiki page to clarify.

Thanks,
Kevin