[xkb] Re: xkeyboard-config and modular release

Frank Murphy murphyf+xfree86 at f-m.fm
Sun Apr 17 22:47:52 PDT 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 6:21, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Danilo Segan wrote:
> >>
> >>How many users will be broken?   Why is it a good idea to break
> >>compatibility?   Why is it not a better idea to simply continue
> >>to ship the working files we have and not break things for our users?
> >
> > Because those "working files" are unmaintained and contain a plethora
> > of bugs?  If there's anyone who's willing to work to backport all the
> > fixes from xkeyboard-config, that might seem viable, but unless not
> > (and I suspect there isn't anyone), users probably want better
> > layouts.
>
> Fixing bugs is good.   Breaking existing user configs is not.   I'm not
> going to ship config file changes that do that, and result in wasting
> time and annoyance for our users, our tech support people, and myself,
> without a really good reason.   I've wasted enough time digging out from
> under all the GNOME "Internal X server XKB error" crap to go down that
> rathole again voluntarily.

The changes made to the 'core' XKB files (like xkb/symbols and xkb/types) have
been made with xkb/rules compatabilty. The changes were made not only to fix
bugs, but to make maintenance and further changes easier. How many users will
have to change their configs? Some, but only those who have already had to
change their configuration manually. Many current non-US layouts don't work
except for basic letters and numbers. Most German and French users pass
around Xmodmap files to actually get a working keyboard.

I understand your reluctance to change these files, but the changes are good
changes.

Frank