Modularization development notes

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 16 16:39:08 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 10:04:15PM +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> > This sounds like it will make lots of people happy.  The only part that
> > worries me is that you said above that it hasn't had massive testing.
> True. The only distro I know which included xkeyboard-config is SuSE
> (AFAIK this is an optional package - so there is no big visibility
> here).
>
> > But, I think it if it can be integrated into the monolithic tree very
> > soon, we should be able to get better testing before the simultaneous
> > 6.9/7.0 release.
> Well, our integration into monolithic tree was discussed many many
> times. The basic points are:
> 1. Our project is autotoolized - which is not a problem per se, just
> will require to create some set of Imakefiles etc.
> 2. Our project introduces NEW dependency - intltool (for XML i18n) -
> can you do it in the stable series?
> 3. Our project has changed the directory structure - and BREAKs
> configurations using XkbSymbols (we are trying to keep compatibility
> at XkbLayout level using compatibility rules - but some odd ones may
> be broken as well).
> So what do you think, with all these considerations, - is it worth
> effort to backport xkeyboard-config to the monolithic tree?
>
> > The reason for putting your code into the monolithic tree is that we are
> > sharing the same sources between the two trees for the 6.9/7.0 release,
> > so anything that is in the monolithic tree (where there isn't a separate
> > upstream project) will also be included in the modular tree.  See the
> I'd say xkeyboard-config is really separate upstream project.

Since it's a separate upstream project and from the work listed above,
it would be somewhat difficult to backport to the monolithic tree.
Perhaps it would be better to keep it separate for now, and once the
initial modular release is complete, we can look into integrating it
into the modular tree for the follow-on release, which should be a
relatively straighforward task.

Also, perhaps there will be other distros that are intersted in
including your package in their release in the meantime.  I will
certainly bring it up at work to see what they think.

Thanks,
Kevin