Modularization development notes

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 14:04:15 PDT 2005

> This sounds like it will make lots of people happy.  The only part that
> worries me is that you said above that it hasn't had massive testing.
True. The only distro I know which included xkeyboard-config is SuSE
(AFAIK this is an optional package - so there is no big visibility
here).

> But, I think it if it can be integrated into the monolithic tree very
> soon, we should be able to get better testing before the simultaneous
> 6.9/7.0 release.
Well, our integration into monolithic tree was discussed many many
times. The basic points are:
1. Our project is autotoolized - which is not a problem per se, just
will require to create some set of Imakefiles etc.
2. Our project introduces NEW dependency - intltool (for XML i18n) -
can you do it in the stable series?
3. Our project has changed the directory structure - and BREAKs
configurations using XkbSymbols (we are trying to keep compatibility
at XkbLayout level using compatibility rules - but some odd ones may
be broken as well).
So what do you think, with all these considerations, - is it worth
effort to backport xkeyboard-config to the monolithic tree?

> The reason for putting your code into the monolithic tree is that we are
> sharing the same sources between the two trees for the 6.9/7.0 release,
> so anything that is in the monolithic tree (where there isn't a separate
> upstream project) will also be included in the modular tree.  See the
I'd say xkeyboard-config is really separate upstream project.

> "Transitioning from monolithic to modular" section of the modularization
> proposal for details on why we're doing this and how it will happen.
OK, I will have a look.

Cheers,

Sergey