Some thoughts on the modularization effort

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Sun Apr 3 15:19:52 PDT 2005

*.la files are just pointer files for libtool to help GNU ld/ other ld to
figure out what a specific library link dependency is and other info.

"Libtool Archive file -- a library file used by the linker on platforms
not so familiar with gnu tools, meant to aide linking to code in the
library on non-Linux platforms."

"An ever increasing number of packages are using libtool to do their linking.
The latest GNU libtools (>= 1.3a) can take advantage of installed libtool
archive files (`*.la'). The main advantage of libtool's .la files is that it
allows libtool to store and subsequently access metadata with respect to the
libraries it builds.  libtool will search for those files, which contain a
lot of useful information about a library (e.g. dependency libraries for
static linking). Also, they're essential for programs using libltdl."

Shawn.