Some thoughts on the modularization effort

GOMBAS Gabor gombasg at sztaki.hu
Sun Apr 3 05:23:38 PDT 2005

(It seems the original mail did not reach my mailbox so I'm replying to
a reply)

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:05:42PM -0500, Shawn Starr wrote:

> On March 30, 2005 22:55, you wrote:
> > > if COMPILE_LSF
> > > lsf = clumon_lsf
> > > endif
> >
> > Thereby creating a dependency on GNU make.

No, the above was a Makefile.am fragment, so the "if/endif" is
interpreted by automake, not make. No GNU make dependency here.

The problem is the reverse direction: if you _do_ want to use GNU make
conditionals (ifeq, ifdef etc.), you will run into trouble, because
automake will choke on the bare "endif" with no preceding "if".

> > You could have written it
> > more portably, in a Makefile,in, as something like:
> >
> > @COMPILE_LSF at lsf = clumon_lsf

This is exactly what automake generates from the above construct (well,
the substitution symbol would be @COMPILE_LSF_TRUE@ instead of
@COMPILE_LSF@).

Gabor