[Xorg-driver-geode] OLPC and "modprobe msr".

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sun Feb 15 15:01:51 PST 2009

Hi all,

With the latest driver, we get a screenful of snow on launch on OLPC
unless we have the MSR kernel module loaded.  This is fine for OLPC's
custom builds, but obviously not fine for upstream distros.  Any
suggestions on what to do about this?  I can imagine things like:

   * persuading distros to add udev rules to modprobe msr on an XO
   * some sort of DMI-based loading?

The first seems immensely time-consuming, the second seems a little
crazy, and I don't know if the third is possible.  :)

(By the way, I'll be making a release soon with some changes to
OLPC-specific code needed to get us to run on unmodified distros.)

Any thoughts?  Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>