[Xorg-driver-geode] switching consoles with GeodeLX

Bart Trojanowski bart at jukie.net
Thu Jan 31 19:38:25 PST 2008

As many have reported, we have issues with switching back to console
mode after running X.

I've enabled some debug flags in xorg-core 1.3 (Gutsy) and am running
tests with the 2.7.7.6 driver.

After pushing Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace, I got this in the logs...

  c000:0282: A2 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE!

... which is generated by x86emuOp2_illegal_op() in the x86emu code.
This function is used to denote unused opcodes.

So, either the BIOS has some non-i386 instructions in it, or the
emulator is executing invalid code.  C000:0282 seems to be in the VGA
BIOS segment, but the memory may have been written over or something
like that.

Returning to X is possible, and X runs at high resolutions, however
returning to console never works.

Interestingly enough, the ILLEGAL OPCODE message is only displayed on
the first exit from X...

I am going to spend some time tomorrow on this.  Again, any suggestions
are most welcome.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/