[Xorg-driver-geode] MSR access issue spotted on Ubuntu

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Sat Jan 19 02:11:19 PST 2008

As seen at https://bugs.launchpad.net/180742

"I have an ALIX1c lx800 motherboard from pcengines, after a long
effort I successed to be able run Xorg 1.3 with the latest driver
amd_drv.so. Now I have a really strange problem. Xorg works perfect, I
can easily manage dpms modes and resolutions, but whenever I want to
and it doesnt fix until restart x or reboot. eventually this happens
when I reboot or shutdown too, it is obvious that the driver fails the
console after killing X."

"here is a strange line in x.log

Unable to open /dev/cpu/0/msr/ :2"

I vaguely recall us seeing this "out of range" message before, but not
the cause. Is this what we get when Panel is enabled and we cannot
match any of the CRT's modes, because of the reduced number of
available modes?

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi