[Xorg-driver-geode] Award BIOS still broken...

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Apr 10 07:48:15 PDT 2008

On 09/04/08 20:50 -0600, Brian Code wrote:
> All,
>
> I've loaded the latest daily build of Hardy (Apr. 9th). I have the
> following versions of various software:
> xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu6
> xf86-video-geode-2.8.0
> AwardBIOS v6.00PG rev ADA07
>
> I've attached the Xorg.log output to this e-mail.
>
> It seems that the VESA VBE DDC detection is failing with this BIOS.
>
> I've tried to read up on the work that both Bart and Martin have done with
> the other BIOSes. I'm guessing that the issue lies somewhere in lands of
> int10, VBE, DDC or x86emu. I'll be sitting down and debugging the Xorg
> server parts tomorrow.
>
> Any of you have any hints? I'll also be on freenode.net as bricode.

Hmm - don't spend too much time in the bowels of the X server, this doesn't
look like the same failure from before.  In fact:

(II) GEODE(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed

That looks like a good old fashioned "DDC doesn't exist" sort of failure -
either your monitor isn't returning the good stuff, or the hardware DDC
lines aren't hooked up or the BIOS isn't using the DDC.

If you had the problems from before, then you would be crashing X or
just flat out hanging.  Bart should chime in here, though, he is more
familiar with the DDC subsystem.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse