[Xorg-driver-geode] Xorg.0.log for GEODE on FreeBSD

Larry Maloney larrypatrickmaloney at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 12:43:47 PST 2007

Time to do the Happy Dance! :)

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 19/12/07 10:28 -0800, Larry Maloney wrote:
>
>> Jordan,
>>
>> So I take it your the engineer at AMD responsible for the GEODE video
>> drivers?
>>

> Yes, I'm responsible for the Linux driver.  Feel free to direct any threats,
> knives or mail bombs in my direction.

Hehe, no you won't get such pleasures from me!

Anybody who provides Open Source contributions deserves an exceeding
amount of respect.

>>> Indeed.  Most of the users of the drivers are very Linux centric, and I
>>> apologize for being so selfish. :)
>>>

>> So,  does this mean the makefiles are setup specifically for Linux?  No
>> other platform makes are available?
>>

> This means only Linux has been tested.  its the nature of the configure
> scripts that they should work on BSD, but until you came along, nobody
> has actually tried it (to the best of my knowledge).

OK, good! I have a starting point.

Is it safe to assume that I can post reasonable questions about the
Makefile dependencies as I go along, if necessary?

I will do my own research, but I think I will have a few questions along
the way.

>> Do I need any other information to build a configure script for BSD?  Is
>> there any information about dependencies, and libraries that might
>> be committed from the current build / configure scripts?
>>

> In that regard, we are just as responsible as any other X driver - we don't
> have any requirements for additional libraries and dependencies beyond what
> is needed for a generic X driver.  In fact, if you know of a X driver that
> _does_ build on BSD, then you should be able to bring those scripts over
> easily.  In a perfect world, everything would work everywhere.

Good idea.  Very good idea.  I will start with an existing driver make
and compare it with GEODE.

>> One other question.  What is the true amount of memory available in the
>> hardware for the graphics?  Is it 256K ?
>>

> This is a UMA architecture, so the amount of memory available for graphics
> is specified at boot time by the BIOS or firmware.  256K is very low,
> 8M is typical for minimal systems, and move up to 16M and beyond for
> more aggressive systems, depending on the maximum resolution you need and
> how much buffer space you want to leave for X.
>
> As a reference, the largest visible framebuffer that LX supports is
> 1920x1440 which consumes at most 11.5M with all the bells and whistles
> turned on.   How much buffer space you should have depends on what you want
> to do (i.e. if you want rotation, you'll need room for an entire shadow
> framebuffer, if you want video you'll need room for the video buffers, etc,
> etc).
>
> Jordan

Cool, makes perfect sense.  Obviously I haven't read all 1000 pages of
the GEODE handbook. :)  Also
my board mfg didn't provide this little detail.  Thank you! :)

Larry

--
Larry P. Maloney

Phone: 650-669-1942