[Xorg-driver-geode] Xorg.0.log for GEODE on FreeBSD

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Dec 19 11:32:29 PST 2007

On 19/12/07 10:28 -0800, Larry Maloney wrote:
> Jordan,
>
> So I take it your the engineer at AMD responsible for the GEODE video
> drivers?

Yes, I'm responsible for the Linux driver.  Feel free to direct any threats,
knives or mail bombs in my direction.

>> Indeed.  Most of the users of the drivers are very Linux centric, and I
>> apologize for being so selfish. :)
>>

> So,  does this mean the makefiles are setup specifically for Linux?  No
> other platform makes are available?

This means only Linux has been tested.  its the nature of the configure
scripts that they should work on BSD, but until you came along, nobody
has actually tried it (to the best of my knowledge).

> Do I need any other information to build a configure script for BSD?  Is
> there any information about dependencies, and libraries that might
> be committed from the current build / configure scripts?

In that regard, we are just as responsible as any other X driver - we don't
have any requirements for additional libraries and dependencies beyond what
is needed for a generic X driver.  In fact, if you know of a X driver that
_does_ build on BSD, then you should be able to bring those scripts over
easily.  In a perfect world, everything would work everywhere.

> One other question.  What is the true amount of memory available in the
> hardware for the graphics?  Is it 256K ?

This is a UMA architecture, so the amount of memory available for graphics
is specified at boot time by the BIOS or firmware.  256K is very low,
8M is typical for minimal systems, and move up to 16M and beyond for
more aggressive systems, depending on the maximum resolution you need and
how much buffer space you want to leave for X.

As a reference, the largest visible framebuffer that LX supports is
1920x1440 which consumes at most 11.5M with all the bells and whistles
turned on.   How much buffer space you should have depends on what you want
to do (i.e. if you want rotation, you'll need room for an entire shadow
framebuffer, if you want video you'll need room for the video buffers, etc,
etc).

Jordan