Issues with the amdgpu drivers

Bill Messenger billmess8 at
Sat Feb 2 06:42:19 UTC 2019

I'm having issues with graphics on my system. The operating system seems to run fine, but while running applications like Blender, Godot and Inkscape, there is a noticeable lag between moving the mouse and the content in the viewport moving. In Windows, it feels instantaneous. I’m also having poor graphics performance with running Windows VSTs like Xfer Serum inside of LinVst and Wine. 

I've tried installing both the stable and unstable drivers from the Padoka PPA. I've also tried many different distros like Manjaro, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and Fedora, but it still behaves the same.

I discovered that unchecking "Enable display compositing" in the XFCE Window Manager Tweaks settings seems to make Blender feel more responsive. But then everything has screen tearing, and it still doesn't feel quite as responsive as it does in Windows. I've tried installing the compton display manager, but it still behaved the same.

Using the proprietary amdgpu-pro graphics drivers with Ubuntu Studio 18.04 did seem to fix the issue with Blender, Inkscape, and Godot. But it doesn’t fix the issue with LinVst, and I get worse performance in games. Also, I would prefer to use Manjaro.

My system is running an Intel Core i7-4790k cpu, 8GB DDR3 ram, ASUS AMD R9 285 graphics card, and an ASUS Z97-A motherboard. Also, the USB devices I'm using is a Cooler Master keyboard, a Razer Deathadder mouse (the original one), an Audient iD14 audio interface, and an Alesis Midi keyboard. (I did try unplugging those and using a generic Logitech mouse and keyboard, but that didn’t help.)

These are some logs using Ubuntu Studio 18.04 and the default graphics drivers:

output of “inxi -Gxx”:

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6939
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1200 at 59.95hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (TONGA / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-44-lowlatency, LLVM 6.0.0)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes

This is a pastebin link for “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”:
And a pastebin link for “dmseg”:

I also first posted my problem on if you want to see the things I’ve tried already: 

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the xorg-driver-ati mailing list