Radeon HD 4650 (RV730) system freeze when playing any type of video file

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Jul 13 18:47:44 PDT 2014

On 11.07.2014 20:49, lorant kovacs wrote:

> I am using the open source radeon drivers, and every time I try to play a
> video, my computer freezes to the point I have to hard reset it. I've been
> trying to find a solution for weeks now, also posted on several forums
> (without success as of now), and I was thinking maybe someone could help.
>
> Currently I'm using Fedora 20; previously used Ubuntu 14.04. Video playback
> used to work perfectly (including VDPAU), but all of a sudden this strange
> error happened.

Well, something must have changed for it to start happening. E.g., did
you upgrade Mesa or the kernel or any other part of the graphics driver
stack?

Does the problem also occur if you explicitly disable VDPAU? Does it
happen with all video player software?

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer