How to easily swap the connector order?

"Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" daniel at rozsnyo.com
Tue May 28 10:03:47 PDT 2013

On 05/28/2013 06:47 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Die, 2013-05-28 at 18:07 +0200, "Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I am using a configuration for two heads, :0.0 and :0.1:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>          Identifier  "devDn"
>>          Driver      "radeon"
>>          BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
>>          Option      "monitor-VGA-0" "monDn"
>>          Screen      0
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>          Identifier  "devUp"
>>          Driver      "radeon"
>>          BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
>>          Option      "monitor-HDMI-0"  "monUp"
>>          Screen      1
>> EndSection
>>
>> But the HDMI is always assigned to :0.0 and the VGA port is
>> always :0.1.
>>
>> How can one reverse the order of the detected connectors? I would like
>> to have an easy option to swap the two.
> Option "ZaphodHeads" should allow you to choose which output(s) to use
> in which Section "Device". See the radeon manpage.

Great, now that works:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "devDn"
         Driver      "radeon"
         BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
         Option      "monitor-VGA-0" "monDn"
         Option      "ZaphodHeads"   "VGA-0"
         Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "devUp"
         Driver      "radeon"
         BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
         Option      "monitor-HDMI-0"  "monUp"
         Option      "ZaphodHeads"   "HDMI-0"
         Screen      1
EndSection

Thank you. I have googled to ZaphodHeads option, but I got the feeling
it is is rather be used for some special purpose mode of multi-seat setup.
So cryptic naming of the options is hell.

Can I leave out the monitor-* options? In xorg.conf, I still have two
Screen objects where the monitors and devices are linked together... not
sure what is the correct way today.

Daniel