OpenGL video performance

Greg G. dargllun at googlemail.com
Tue May 1 23:24:13 PDT 2012

On 01.05.2012 09:49, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> [ Please always follow up to the list; this is the last reply to me only
> that I'll reply to ]

Sorry, that was unintentional.

> On Fre, 2012-04-27 at 17:21 +0200, Greg G. wrote:
>> On 26.04.2012 07:58, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>>> What are the other options for 'blanking method' (I assume that's
>>> related to sync to vertical blank)? Do any of them work better?
>>
>> Myth automatically chooses that mechanism, I can't change it. IIRC if
>> there is now KMS vblank it used to use an RTC timer. But surely KMS
>> blanking is the best way to do it.
>
> No, the corresponding GLX APIs would be better.

That's interesting, I'll need to check that with the myth devs I suppose.

>> glxinfo: http://paste.ubuntu.com/949935/
>> Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/949937/
>> dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/949969/
>> xorg.conf: http://paste.ubuntu.com/949973/
>>
>> Please let me know if you see anything abnormal.
>
> Remove
>
> 	Option "AIGLX" "off"
>
> from xorg.conf, as it's causing the X server to load the swrast driver
> instead of the hardware driver, which is not really supported anymore
> for 3D acceleration.

Allright, will do. AFAIR though this didn't make a big change, I
actually only added that when I tried to improve things.

> According to dmesg, the kernel driver didn't properly detect the HDMI
> display. Was the display disconnected on bootup?

Indeed. I had rebooted the machine remotely while the AVR was turned off.

> Also, it looks like HDMI audio may be enabled. Does disabling that with
> radeon.audio=0 make a difference for any of the issues?

Indeed HDMI audio is on, and must be so.

> Last but not least, that version of the X server (and probably driver)
> are getting a little old, it might be worth trying newer ones.

Hm, well at least the driver is probably pretty current:
xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.14.99+git1204181041.0bda30~gd~n_amd64.deb

Regards
Greg