Radeon HD 5450 on PowerMac G5

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue May 1 07:35:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Stephane Louise
<stephane.r.louise at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>> The atom interpreter is endian safe.  Several people have used
>> evergreen and NI cards on PPC with success.  You might try a newer or
>> older kernel.  Perhaps you are hitting a problem in the i2c subsystem?
>> The driver just uses a simple bit-banging adapter for i2c.
>
> I own this card since a few months, so I already tried it with several
> older kernel, as they came in Debian Testing.
> The behavior is consistent: it doesn't detect any monitor that I would
> plug (older kernel were less verbose on the cause of the failure in
> dmesg).
>
> Which version of kernel would you suggest?

3.1 or 3.3 or 3.4 maybe?  With a new enough kernel (3.4 I think), you
can try the hw i2c controllers rather than the bit-banging bus; just
load radeon with the parameter hw_i2c=1.

> BTW here is my lsmod:
> Module                  Size  Used by
<snip>
> As you can see, the i2c_powermac module doesn't seem to be used. Is
> there any module to make the link with the drm module?

The driver uses the i2c_algo_bit module; the i2c buses are on the GPU.