Cannot get radeon hd4290 working with KMS

A. Bischof a.bischof at gmx.net
Tue Mar 29 02:46:25 PDT 2011

Am 29.03.2011 11:24, schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On Die, 2011-03-29 at 11:07 +0200, A. Bischof wrote:
>>
>> But performance is still slow - I know glxgears is no benchmark,
>
> Indeed, it's not.
>
>> but I get 850FPS without KMS - maybe because of agpmode=-1?
>
> Maybe.

ok, I'll try this.

>> And btw, System Settings in KDE tells me "Compositing is not supported
>> on your system".
>
> IIRC the KDE check for this doesn't always work correctly and can be
> overridden. If that still doesn't help, you could try using the XRender
> backend for compositing.

Hm, no idea how to do this - override and XRender backend - could you
tell me? XRender is maybe about xorg.conf I guess?

At the moment I use an almost empty xorg.conf - should I try using
options like

Option "RenderAccel" "1"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "AccelDFS" "off"
Option "AGPMode" "8"
Option "AGPFastWrite" "1"
Option "EnablePageFlip"
Option "ColorTiling"
?

Would it be helpful to load certain modules via xorg.conf?

Cheers