radeon driver - Display becomes corrupted with GIMP!

Shane Reimer shane.reimer at inbox.com
Sun Feb 27 12:52:44 PST 2011

Starting a couple weeks ago, whenever gimp loads an image my display
becomes corrupted.

I can open gimp itself, but the moment gimp tries to "paint" an image on
my monitor the display becomes "garbled".

This also happens in qucs (the problem happens the moment I load qucs!)

I'm sure this has something to do with the driver.

Currently I have the following git versions installed on ubuntu 10.04:
xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-mach64
xserver-xorg-video-r128

Here is the condensed output of "spci | grep -i pci || lspci":
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ [Radeon
9600]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ [Radeon 9600]
(Secondary)

Kindly,
Shane