S-Video out with radeon with 'Flyback Lines' showing on the TV

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon May 17 06:28:09 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM,  <uebershark at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Make sure you are using the right video standard and a recent ddx for
>> ums or kernel for kms.  Modelines are irrelevant for tv-out since the
>> driver uses a hard coded modeline regardless of what the user
>> specifies.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Hi!
> I run arch linux, and use the 'git' packages from aur. My current
> build is from the fourth of may.
> I have kms enables, using the gallium enabled mesa path stuff...
>
> Where in the driver is this hard coded at? And what exactly do you
> mean with 'hard coded'. I mean, to what level does this reflect back
> to xrandr and the settings done from there? As far as my theory goes,
> the driver must be 'doing something to fast' or to slow, for these
> lines to show up.(my knowledge of electronics isn't all to
> comprehensive though..)
>
> xrandr now shows me "640x480        50.2     59.9" with the modeline
> from windows, before it only gave me the 59.9 rate.

The modeline is just there to make xrandr happy.  tv-out has fixed
timing (NTSC or PAL, etc.). The "modes" you set are just downscaled to
the size of the native timing.  It doesn't matter what mode you set
with xrandr, the driver will always program the timing the same way
since analog tv only accepted certain fixed modes.