Radeon/PowerPC: No video output after update 6.12.1 -> 6.12.99; 6.12.192

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Apr 30 06:15:04 PDT 2010

On Don, 2010-04-29 at 22:06 +0200, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 29.04.10 09:39 schrieb(en) Michel Dänzer:
> > Beware that CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y requires also building the firmware
> > needed by the radeon driver into the kernel, otherwise the radeon driver
> > will time out trying to load the firmware before the root filesystem is
> > mounted and then only work with acceleration disabled.
> >
> > What about CONFIG_AGP*?
> >

> > > CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
> >
> > radeon KMS can't work with radeonfb. Does passing radeon.modeset=0 on
> > the kernel command line help for now?
> >
> > In any case, please provide the output of
> >
> > dmesg|grep -e drm -e agp -e radeon
>
> O.k., here are some more encouraging test results.  I now rebuilt the kernel with
>
> root at antares:~# zgrep -e DRM -e RADEON -e AGP /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_AGP=m
> CONFIG_AGP_UNINORTH=m
> CONFIG_DRM=m
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
> # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
> # CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
>
> The boot process now behaves a little strange, as the start screen
> first looks like hanging in OpenFirmware, but then briefly the text
> console comes up, and X starts.

As you booted with modeset=0, there's no driver usable for the console.
Either try without modeset=0 (you may need radeon.agpmode=1 instead for
AGP to work reliably with KMS) or re-enable radeonfb.

> The strange effect in Xine is *completely* gone.

So as I suspected probably bitrot in the non-DRI big endian paths.

Does EXA also work without workarounds now?