HD5770 bringup

Daniel Klaffenbach daniel.klaffenbach at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Apr 10 16:13:04 PDT 2010

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I can't find a package called libdrm_radeon in portage. Is this
> possibly part of xorg-server-1.7? I do have libdrm and xf86-video-ati
> but neither show a kms flag.
libdrm with "VIDEO_CARDS=radeon" should be fine.

> Again maybe that's on newer versions?
You should either use libdrm-9999 or at least libdrm-2.4.20.

> I'm not against going to a testing xorg-server but a number of Gentoo
> people are having trouble so I wouldn't go there without a good
> reason.
You can use the keyworded xorg-server package from the official portage
tree (1.7.*). I'm not having any problems with it. But I guess if you
want you could also stick with 1.6.5 for now.

> I'll investigate unmasking
> the newer stuff, but I don't see libdrm_radeon anywhere as of yet.
You only need to unmask kernel 2.6.24, xf86-video-ati-9999, libdrm-9999
(or 2.4.20) and mesa-9999 (recommended).
BTW: the "-9999" ebuilds come from the X11 overlay.

I do not know about 5xxx and firmware, but with my 3870 I need to
compile some firmware-blob into the kernel (option in kernel config).
Maybe this also applies to 5xxx cards.

Regards,
 Daniel