HD5770 bringup

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:22:45 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> you need 2.6.34.

Now at 2.6.34-rc3

cruncher linux # uname -a
Linux cruncher 2.6.34-rc3 #2 SMP Sat Apr 10 15:05:21 PDT 2010 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
cruncher linux #

>> kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-2.6.33-gentoo root=/dev/sda2 i915.modeset=1

Some headway. The radeon driver as well as drm_kms_helper and a number
of other things are loaded and associated with the radeon driver.
However early in the boot process - I think when the modeset happens
because my Intel i915 does this also - the screen goes black. On the
Intel the screen shifts to a smaller font. Here I'm just seeing a
blank screen so far. The monitor can't find the signal and then turns
off.

Independent of actually getting graphics should we be able to switch
fonts at this point?

cruncher linux # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2535  1
snd_hda_intel          21027  0
snd_hda_codec          65767  2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel
radeon                633661  0
ttm                    47515  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         23847  1 radeon
sky2                   43451  0
drm                   169899  3 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
agpgart                30664  2 ttm,drm
snd_hwdep               5698  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                70597  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
i2c_algo_bit            4757  1 radeon
cfbcopyarea             3189  1 radeon
cfbimgblt               2098  1 radeon
snd_timer              17697  1 snd_pcm
cfbfillrect             3201  1 radeon
snd                    54600  5
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6118  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          7149  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
cruncher linux #

> KMS is enabled by default in 2.6.33+.  Just make sure you have
> libdrm_radeon and xf86-video-ati (radeon) with kms support.

I can't find a package called libdrm_radeon in portage. Is this
possibly part of xorg-server-1.7? I do have libdrm and xf86-video-ati
but neither show a kms flag. Again maybe that's on newer versions?

I'm not against going to a testing xorg-server but a number of Gentoo
people are having trouble so I wouldn't go there without a good
reason. Keep in mind this is a brand new machine. I have nothing
invested in terms of work on it so most anything is OK at this point
if it's going to produce positive results. I'll investigate unmasking
the newer stuff, but I don't see libdrm_radeon anywhere as of yet.

Cheers,
Mark