Flash performance on radeon driver (Fedora 11)

planetf1 bugs at cherrybyte.me.uk
Tue Sep 1 01:34:20 PDT 2009

On 01/09/09 07:26, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> No idea why the flash plugin uses 90% cpu for fullscreen playback, and
> mplayer plays exactly the same file only using10%.
>
> After all,I prefer Ogg Theora a lot over all those closed codecs.

Agree completely, but at least here in the UK a number of the major
broadcasters, for example the BBC, have settled on flash for their
streaming, and "catch-up" TV services.

Most people I know find this seriously one of those "killer apps". I'm
able to watch on my Nokia N96 phone, Nintendo WII and 2 Windows PC (one
2 years old, the other about 6-7 years old), but sadly not on my 3yr old
linux laptop.

At work I know colleagues who cite this as one reason they can't switch
to linux. Now as a sw engineer and *nix user for around 23 years I find
it a superb platform for my day job, but I can understand why this is
also an issue

I wish adobe had a more efficient implementation.

Nigel.
bugs at cherrybyte.me.uk